Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Loss of Two Generations

Today my Great Grandmother, Nana Meixell (my dad's grandmother), passed away at the age of 102! She was our only living family member of that generation. I remember interviewing her one time for a school project about what it was like to live during the Great Depression. We would go visit her when I was younger and her house was like a museum to us. It was filled with dolls and collectables from her travels all over the world. I would go weekly to cut her grass when she wasn't able to take care of her yard on her own. Several years ago she finally moved into a nursing home. I hadn't seen her in a few years and I don't think she ever got to meet the kids.When I sent my Grandmother pictures of the things we'd been up to, she would take them to share with Nana Meixell when she went to visit her. Even though she didn't always remember who everyone was, she did enjoy looking at the pictures.
 This is the only picture I could find with Nana Meixell. It was obviously from a long time ago!
This picture is of me at 9 months old in a cradle that belonged to my Nana Meixell. I used to play with the cradle when I went to her house. She gave it to me when she sold her house.

On June 30, we also lost my Nana (my mom's mother). I have a lot of memories from living with her when we were young. We used to be very close. We lost touch for a while when she and my mom had a falling out. We reconnected again when I invited her to my wedding 10 years ago. I remember taking Kailani to visit her when we went to PA for a trip. Kailani was only 2 years old at the time. She never had the opportunity to meet Zachary. I continued to send her pictures of the kids so she could see how they were growing.
Although I love living here in San Diego, these are the times when I wish I was just a little closer to family.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Background