I came home from work today surprised to find a notice on our door from the local animal shelter indicating they had our dog. I couldn't figure out how either one of the dogs could have gotten out of the house. As we entered the house, we quickly realized that Bruno was not here. I immediately assumed I forgot to let him back in the house when I left for work, but I couldn't believe I would have done that. I checked the yard and I couldn't figure out how he got out of the yard if I had left him out there.
I listened to several messages on our answering machine. The first message, from 8:30am, was from a neighbor who said she had Bruno. The second message was from a woman (who I thought was the same as the first but found out later it wasn't) who said Bruno was going to attack her dog so she was going to have to call animal control. The third message was from an animal control officer stating that Bruno was at the animal shelter.
I tried contacting the officer right away but ended up leaving several messages. I called the woman who initially found Bruno. I was worried Bruno had done something to her dog. She said when her and her husband came out of the house this morning to go for a walk with the kids, Bruno was waiting by their garage. She said Bruno followed them for a 3-mile walk (without a leash). Another woman walking 3 dogs passed by. One of the dogs was a chihuahua and its barking scared Bruno. The other woman called me at that point and threatened to call animal control. The first lady said her and her husband would take care of Bruno if she just went on with her 3 dogs. Bruno followed the family back to their house and hung out in front of their garage. They put him in their back yard and ended up calling animal control when they had to leave their house because they didn't know what to do with him. I thanked her so much for taking good care of Bruno. She said he was such a sweetie and great with her little kids.
I finally got in touch with the animal control officer and he told me that he stopped by the house to see if anyone was home and our front door was wide open. Obviously, that's how Bruno got out. I can't imagine that I would have left the house without even shutting the door, but apparently that's what happened. Things get hectic in the morning and I guess I was focused on getting the kids out the door. I was not able to pick Bruno up tonight because the animal shelter had closed at 5. The animal shelter is right down the street from my work, so I will leave work at 10am, when the shelter opens, and go pick him up.
I am so glad Bruno is okay and that such a nice family took good care of him. I feel even worse that it's been pouring all night. It's possible that Bruno is in an outside kennel at the shelter. I have learned that my cell phone number needs to be on the dogs' tags. I will be going to new tags ASAP! I am very glad Holiday was in her cage today and that none of the cats escaped.
Poor Bruno:(
No comments:
Post a Comment