Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Kindergarten Already?

I can't believe it's that time already! It doesn't seem that long ago that Kailani was a baby and now she'll be starting kindergarten next year. We've started looking around at schools because the Chula Vista district is year-round and starts in July. At this point, we have three options: 1) Heritage Elementary, 2) KinderCare, or 3) High Tech Elementary.
Heritage Elementary is the public school within walking distance to the new house. They only have 1/2 day kindergarten and the am/pm is chosen by a lottery. I am not sure if they provide before and after school care for kindergarten. If she could get into am, I could drop her off before work and pick her up at 11:30 (on my lunch) and take her to KinderCare for the afternoon; although that would be very inconvenient every day. Also, the school is on a different calendar than my district so I'd have to figure out what to do with her when she is off and I work. They do have very high test scores, although that doesn't always mean anything. I picked up an enrollment packet for her this week and can turn it in starting on March 2.
KinderCare has a licensed private kindergarten and is another option. They limit the class size to 14, which is much less than a traditional class size (20-25). KinderCare will have full-day kindergarten. I wouldn't have to make two stops in the morning because I would continue taking both kids to KinderCare. The drawback is that we would have to continue paying $240+ per week to keep her there for kindergarten. We plan to attend the informational meeting at KinderCare on March 2.
High Tech Elementary is a brand new charter school that will be opening in the fall. They are building a K-8 school on the current High Tech High School campus. We went to a mandatory informational meeting tonight. The program is entirely based on project-based learning and they've got a lot of neat components. Every grade level gets fine arts, performing arts, and engineering. High Tech Elementary is full day kindergarten and starts the school year on September 6. They provide before and after school care, which may be free (if they get a grant they've applied for). The drawback to HTE is that they are only accepting 75 students per grade level and they have an overwhelming amount of applicants. Students will be chosen through a blind lottery system, so basically it's up to chance if she gets in. The lottery will be held at the end of March.
There is so much to think about...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Background